- The colors. Purple, brown, orange, red, green, yellow. It's a rainbow every time I go outside!
- Piles of leaves. When I was a kid, I always wanted to rake up all the leaves into big piles and then jump in them, like kids did on TV. I don't actually remember if I ever did this, but I still get a nostalgic feeling when I see all the leaves on the ground, or even better, piles of raked up leaves! (Does anyone actually rake leaves anymore, or does everyone just use a leaf blower? I need to make a mental note to rake leaves at least once if I ever get my own yard...)
- The weather. Jeans and sweaters are pretty much my favorite clothing items, but I also hate having to bundle up with a coat, scarf and gloves. Fall provides the perfect balance for me. I can wear what I love both inside and outside without a lot of effort. And, I can spend time outside without being sweaty or freezing, neither of which I enjoy very much.
- The food. Hot apple cider, chicken soup and dumplings, beef stew, pot roast, enchiladas, pie. Yum! Sure, I could enjoy these foods any time of year, but the warmth and comfort they provide seems most appropriate for when the weather is just starting to cool off.
- My favorite holiday. If there is one thing I love more than fall, it is Thanksgiving. What is better than a holiday dedicated to food and family? It's pretty hard to Hallmark it up, too, although people have tried. But there just isn't much to commercialize about a good meal and spending time with loved ones. And, you really don't need a crap ton of money to feel like you are making the most of it. The whole fall season seems to lead up to this down-home, humble holiday. Just thinking about it makes me giddy!
- Fall activities. Unfortunately, I didn't get to participate in some of my favorites this year, but in the past I have enjoyed visits to pumpkin patches, hikes amongst the changing leaves, and apple picking. I just love the whole harvest spirit that surrounds these activities and the season.
There you have it. How about you? Anyone else with me on Fall? Did I leave something out? Have a different favorite season?