Sunday, November 21, 2010

How to Heal What Ails You

So.  Day 20 of NaBloPoMo was a fail. But I'm back again.  Cyrus and I have arrived in Phoenix, and I have contracted a nasty chest cold.  Our impending flight and this cold are my reasons (excuses) for not blogging yesterday. I almost didn't make it today either, but then I thought I would share with all (2) of you our family's secret for curing, or at least speeding up the course of, all colds/flu:

Ginger Tea

How to make:

  • Chop up a bunch of ginger, probably at least an inch to an inch and a half chunk, depending on how much tea you want, and how strong you want it. 
  • Add desired amount of water.
  • Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until the tea burns just a little going down.  (This is not a joke.  If it doesn't burn, it's not strong enough).
  • Strain the ginger and serve with honey and/or lemon to make it palatable.  (Again, not a joke.  This stuff is kind of disgusting).
  • Reserve ginger to use again.  We reuse the ginger for at least three or four pots of tea, and sometimes stretch it a bit further by adding a small amount of new ginger to the pot.  

My mom first discovered this when I was in high school, and it took me about five years before I could drink more than a few sips.  However, three or four large mugs of this stuff a day will speed up the course of your illness, and if started soon enough, can even decrease the severity.  I have no scientific evidence for this (although I'm sure there is some), but at the very least, it makes us all feel a little better.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...